The Gianelli Cabin Trailhead can be either an easy stroll through the Stanislaus National Forest or the start of a long, back-packing adventure. Your destination can be either 1.2 miles away or 21.1 miles away. The 1.2-mile hike to Burst Rock is nice and easy, but at a top elevation of 8,600 feet, tiredness may set in quicker than usual. Additionally, you should be wary of altitude sickness. This short hike still offers beautiful views of the Stanislaus River, Cooper Peak, Castle Peak, and the Three Chimneys.
Travel an additional 1.1 miles and you will run into Powell Lake. Travel even further and there are still 10 more lakes and 2 meadows to witness. Some of the lakes include, Chewing Gum Lake (4.1 miles), Toejam Lake (8.5 miles), Deer Lake (12.3 miles), and Huckleberry Lake (21.1 miles). The two meadows include Whitesides Meadow (6.6 miles) and Salt Lick Meadow (8.2 miles).
Here is how you can reach the Gianelli Cabin Trailhead.
- Head towards Pinecrest on Highway 108
- Turn right onto Pinecrest Lake Road when heading north (left when heading south)
- Turn right onto Dodge Ridge Road (past old firestation)
- Turn right onto Forest Road 4N26 toward Aspen Meadows (past multiple campgrounds)
- Follow the road and stay left at the pack station
- In 2.5 miles, head left toward Gianelli Cabin at the signed junction
No matter your hiking skill level, begin your next adventure at the Gianelli Cabin Trailhead.